Sept 11th Meeting, What happened?

Michael Kennedy michael-FlpYSvOe4ac6W4JZGn+SJw at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 12 04:58:44 UTC 2007

David,

It branched out in a few directions, but the main thrust of the
argument is that modern editors change the way we view the facilities
at our fingertips, and the nature of each editor lends itself to
different followers.  There was a heated camp of Emacs which I
interpreted as 'I can call up anything I could possibly want in Emacs,
so it is the best compromise between shell and editor.', then there
was sparse 'vi' contingent which basically conceded that the only
positive features of 'vi' came with the introduction of 'vim' and that
the requirement for termcap basically amde it a blight on the history
of UNIX.  And finally there was the 'silverback' contingent which
debated the value of either of the preceding options when it was
perfectly clear that all roads forked from 'ed', and by extention,
'qed'.  Of course this is my interpretation of the session, and is
entirely up for debate as I'm sure others perceived it differently.

And in there somewhere, someone (forgive me for not recalling the
exact name) threw into the mix a query about how to edit SNMP MIBs.  I
had suggested "MIB Smith", and I was wrong by a single trailing
letter, it was "MIB Smithy"
(http://www.muonics.com/Products/MIBSmithy/), which is decidely
non-OSS, but was the only multi-platform option that came to mind for
the query raised.

Interesting session overall, albeit probably not the most productive.
And I didn't bring my $20...  So I guess I won't be invited back.  ;)

And in case you were wondering, I am in the 'vi' camp.  Though I
definitely wouldn't use it to individually edit 850 source files to
replace a repeated string.

MK