Using Photoshop patterns in Gimp

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 10 01:34:33 UTC 2007

Scott Elcomb left a post-it on the fridge:

> On 9/9/07, JoeHill <joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Jamon Camisso left a post-it on the fridge:

> > > URL?
> >
> > http://shattereddesigns07.deviantart.com/art/Shattereds-Patterns-60463454
>
> You can't import Photoshop patterns:
> http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-concepts-patterns.html
> http://www.gimptalk.com/forum/topic/Using-Photoshop-pat-files-in-
> GIMP-16525-1.html#131667

That's a good site. Found that when I was googling around, though I did not
find that page.

> You can however turn any PNG, JPEG, BMP, GIF, or TIFF image into a
> Gimp pattern simply by saving it with the .pat extension in your
> ~/gimp-2.2/patterns folder.
>
> You can "import" them by chopping out each of the patterns separately,
> then saving each of them with the .pat extension as described above.

Ah, okay, good to know. I ended up finding an old copy of PS 7 and installing
it with Wine. Works pretty good, actually. I've been loading the patterns in
PS and then saving as a PSD, Gimp can open those okay. The method you describe
will save a lot of fiddling.

Strangely enough, there are some patterns on DeviantArt that come in the form
of a PSD that even PS 7 cannot open. Having been using Linux so exclusively for
5 years, it's kinda weird to run into all these incompatibilities. I'd
forgotten what that was like. Getting spoiled, I guess ;)

Thanks!

--
JoeHill