PicoTux

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 7 19:06:14 UTC 2007

On 9/7/07, Scott Elcomb <psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 9/7/07, SlackRat <slackrat4Q-MOdoAOVCFFcswetKESUqMA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > I was wondering if there are any useful applications that can be run
> > on what is advertized as "The worlds smallest computer"
>
> That'd be the "world's smallest _Linux_ computer."  The fact that it
> can be used as a webserver might prove very useful for (incredibly!)
> tiny appliances.
>
> If there were an easy way to expand it's memory, say with USB 2, the
> device would probably be invaluable for appliance manufacturers.  As
> it is, I don't think (but don't quote me) that Perl or PHP could be
> installed on the device, so all web scripts would have to be compiled
> C/C++ or Fortran.  (Never heard of web scripts written in Fortran, but
> can't see why it wouldn't be possible in principle.)
>
> The specs say there are "General Input/Output Pins(TTL)," but I'm not
> sure what kind of hardware interface that is supposed to represent.
>
> > I am quite intrigued by it.
> >
> > http://www.picotux.com/
>
> Damn but that's small!

There is a site that describes how to reconfigure it...

http://daduke.org/picotux/

In principle, it *could* run PHP and such, if all the code (including
binaries) was being hosted on an NFS mount.

You'd still want to keep sizes of things down to minimize the degree
to which network bandwidth kills performance.
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)