It's official... FLOSS is everywhere.

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 6 21:50:08 UTC 2007

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 05:27:55PM -0400, Paul Mora wrote:
> Today I helped unpack and set up my dad's new 40" LCD Sony BRAVIA
> television.  In the box, among the various manuals and warranty cards, what
> do I find?
>
> A copy of the GPL!!
>
> Apparently some part of the TV's internals uses GPL licensed code, and the
> paper is the GNU GPL V2, plus the locaction where you can get the source
> code.  Here's the URL:
> http://products.sel.sony.com/opensource/source_bivl.shtml
>
> Now I wonder if I can get a shell prompt... :-)

Probably by soldering to some pads or connecting to some internal pins.
:)

So it has some mips32 CPU used for some internet link thingy?

openssl for https I guess
zlib for stream compression support
png for handling compressed images
freetype to handle displaying ttf fonts
curl to connect to urls and transfer files
uclibc + busybox + kernel for the basic system

So what do they claim it is capable of doing with that feature?

--
Len Sorensen