fun with GPL

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 6 18:19:17 UTC 2007

Larry doesn't quite seem to understand things - either the GPL or what
reverse engineering is - as well. From slashdot:

#2 Another concern I have about people inspecting the code is that
someone is going to feel compelled to pull it apart, as already
evidenced, and while sections of it are certainly GPL, sections are
also Monsoon IP. Also, some of the algorithms and binaries are
actually IP of our silicon vendors - they are the drivers and covered
by NDA to companies with greater legal resources than Monsoon.

He'd better hope that they've somehow managed to make it so that this
expensive IP isn't affected by the GPL... but somehow I doubt it.

#5 I find claims that using a string scanner is not "reverse
engineering" the binary to be disingenuous. A person has used indirect
means to deduce (some or all of) the internal structure of a system
that they had no prior knowledge of. Clarifying the intent only goes
so far as to lend legitimacy to the activity, but it does not change
what it is. I have reverse engineered stuff too (oops, statute of
limitations y'know). It's actually pretty fun (for geeks with spare
time anyway).

"I've reversed engineered stuff too, so I must know what I'm talking
about." Hmm, at any rate he doesn't really seem to understand the
purpose of "strings"