fun with GPL

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 6 02:54:33 UTC 2007

| From: Tyler Aviss <tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| Well, as you may have noticed I did pass along that email to the GPL
| violations address at busybox. If anyone should be talking to them
| about abiding the GPL it should be the owners of the software license
| that is being violated

I told them before I mailed this TLUG list.

BTW, things get funnier, at least to me, as this progresses.

It is mentioned on /. by someone:
  http://slashdot.org/firehose.pl?op=view&id=277903

I mentioned that fact on the Hava Forum and the Hava rep then
commented on /. (the only comment so far).

Have a read of the new items on the Forum too.
  http://myhava.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3439#3439

In /., the rep responded to my Forum posting.  My favourite bit:

    I am struck that one of the people giving me the most grief about
    the GPL code doesn't even own our product. Apparently he learned
    what he knows by downloading the software, inspecting the
    binaries, and since he didn't actually ever install the software,
    he didn't have to view/accept the EULA or feel bound by its terms.
    Interesting. Is there an official slashdot stance on that?

[He is refering to me as giving him grief.]

An official /. stance?  What a concept.

He's surprised that I don't feel bound by terms that I could not know
about.

It's a loophole they intend to close, so download that firmware before
it's too late! :-)

Not being allowed to "reverse engineer, disassemble or decompile" GPLed
software seems wrong.