semi-pro PCI snd crd for linux

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 5 15:49:51 UTC 2007

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

<snip>
> Well TRS literally just means Tip Ring Sleeve.  A stereo jack is a TRS
> jack, but it is not a balanced signal.
"jack" meaning the port (the hole you are plugging into) or the male end
of a cable?
>   It seems often TRS is used to
> refer to balanced, and TS (Tip Sleeve (no ring)) is used to refer to
> unbalanced [both mono of course].

And this is wrong?
> And yes you got it right.  All you can visibly see is that it is a 1/4"
> jack.  You need to know by the specs if it is a stereo jack, or a
> balanced or unbalanced mono jack.

So, you need the specs to know if the port (jack) is stereo, balanced or
unbalanced (mono). But is a TRS cable always capable of stereo and
balanced signal (depending on whether the port you are plugging into
transmits stereo or balanced signal)? Or is there balanced TRS and
stereo TRS and never the twain shall meet? In that case, again, I would
need to know (specs) whether it was stereo TRS or balanced TRS?

I guess until I get an answer to that I would be safe as long as any TRS
I use I am assured is balanced and any port (jack) I plug it into I am
assured is balanced. At least now I understand why you still need L and
R ports for balanced. It's because L and R are carrying their respective
parts of the stereo whole, and balanced has to do with noise reduction.

Chris

P.S. I would still like to know if all TRS cables are both stereo and
balanced at the same time (meaning the stereo or balanced application
would have to do with the port (jack) it's plugging into).  I fear the
answer to this question is 'No', which means I will have to replace some
of my cables. I probably would have had to replace them anyway as the
local recording guru advises I use military grade cabling (which, I
assume, ain't the stuff they flog at The Source).