Locale/UTF8 problem in firefox

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 5 14:43:09 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 09:48:55AM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
>   The DB is set to 'UTF8' encoding (see above). I am using perl, and
> when I print the header I do:
>
> eval 'use CGI::Carp "fatalsToBrowser"';
> print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
>
> # Tell perl that we are printing UTF8
> binmode STDOUT, ":utf8";
>
>   But I will try changing to:
>
> print "Content-type: text/html; charset=utf8\n\n";
>
>   <runs off to test> ... Nope, still screwed up. :(
>
>  Here is what 'lynx -head http://localhost' shows:
>
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 13:47:08 GMT
> Server: Apache/2.2.3 (Ubuntu)
> Last-Modified: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 15:49:47 GMT
> ETag: "19018e-ea-a4b69cc0"
> Accept-Ranges: bytes
>
>   I'll play around some more with the 'charset' command (and by play, I
> mean "google". :) ). Any idea what I might be screwing up still? I'll
> also pull the head meta tag, too.

Have you compared the string you sent to the DB with the string you
retrieve from the DB (do a verify read right after writing it)?  If the
strings match, then it must be an issue with how the script is sending
it to the browser, otherwise you have a problem with your method for
retreiving data from the database.

--
Len Sorensen