Locale/UTF8 problem in firefox

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 5 12:39:02 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 12:49:11AM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
>   Yeah, one of the things I looked into when trying to localize the
> program. :/
>
> <head>
> </head>

That is useless.  Most browsers ignore that (in fact netscape 4 was the
only one that always used it).  Set the REAL headers on the http reply
instead which as a script should not be difficult.

One way to check the header is:

lynx -head url

If you see:

then it won't work.  Your script should be able to control the headers
sent out and include the correct charset in there.

Forget the meta tage for that ever existed because it isn't part of any
standard and doesn't work.

--
Len Sorensen