Locale/UTF8 problem in firefox

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 5 02:56:52 UTC 2007

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Hi Madison,
>
> This may not be a real fix for your problem but it's one that I've had
> to fight with in the past. At least it might offer a good place to
> start, if you haven't ventured there already.
>
> As Firefox uses neither KDE nor GNOME, it doesn' t know or use the font
> defaults of your desktop; therefore it maintains its own settings of
> what fonts and encodings to use. This offers the possibility a Unicode
> string that displays fine using other GUI apps (which respect your
> desktop's settings) may not render properly within Mozilla (and its
> components; Firefox, Thunderbird, etc). They might not be using the same
> fonts. It's even possible that your Firefox isn't set up to use Unicode.
>
> Have a look in Edit -> Preferences -> Content -> Fonts & Colors ->
> Advanced ... on mine the default encoding is not unicode.
>
> Another possibility might be to add support for other languages under
> Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> General -> Languages.
>
> HTH,
>
> - Evan

Thanks, Evan.

   Trick is though, I need a solution that doesn't require the user to
modify their browser setting. :/ I was hoping that telling perl and
postgres to use UTF8 would do that. My program is designed to be used by
non-techies. I don't want to/can't ask users to change Firefox settings.

   Any tricks that might work at the program/DB level?

Thanks!

Madi