semi-pro PCI snd crd for linux

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 4 14:00:19 UTC 2007

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 01:20:25PM -0400, Chris Aitken wrote:
>
>> Chris Aitken wrote:

<snip>
> No, stereo is an incompatible use of the same connector.  You need the
> adapters that either connect each of the outputs to a standard RCA phono
> jack (remember the card has seperate left and right channel outputs).
> Or you need a cable that connects to both outputs and provides the 1/8"
> stereo jack you are used to on PCs.  EMU's website has a picture in the
> accessories of the second one.

i went there and don't see the picture...
http://www.creative.com/products/welcome.asp?category=13
> TRS and balanced is the same thing.  What the adapters do is simply use
> the reference ground and one side of the balanced signal to give you a
> regular unbalanced signal (the other half is not connected).

Unless the adaptor is TRS as well?
> If you try to connect normal PC speakers to just one connector with a
> 1/4" to 1/8" adapter you will either short something, or you will simply
> have both speakers playing one channel except out of phase (essentially
> trying to cancel each other out).

Okay.
> Being detected as an Audigy is kind of reasonable since the 1212m is
> actually based on the same emu10002 chip as the audigy but uses
> additional chips that the audigy doesn't have along with much higher
> quality components to give better sound quality.

Understood.
>> I will test the 1/4" male -to-1/8" female adaptor (that I have in the
>> soundcard) to make sure it works. I'll go to alsa-projects.org again to
>> see how to get the card working under linux. There also is a good hacker
>> working in the local Krazy Krazy who might take this on. So, I need to
>> do all I can quickly, so I can it to him, see what he can do, and still
>> have time to get it back to L&McQ by Sept 17.
>>

> Other than the cable, remember you must have 1.0.14 ALSA version (not
> 1.0.13 or 1.0.14rc).  And you need the alsa-firmware 1.0.14 in order to
> get the fpga code required by the card to work fully.

As you know, my card is working now. If you think 1.0.14 will be better
I'll install it. As you can see below I tried to use yum to install it
(and avoid rpm dependency hell). Any suggestions?

[chris at p733 ~]$ su
Password:
[root at p733 chris]# yum install alsa-firmware-1.0.14
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
Nothing to do
[root at p733 chris]# exit
exit
[chris at p733 ~]$ rpm -i Desktop/alsa*.rpm
warning: Desktop/alsa-firmware-1.0.14-0.pm.0.noarch.rpm: Header V3 DSA
signature: NOKEY, key ID 5277a2fa
error: Failed dependencies:
        alsa >= 1.0.14 is needed by alsa-firmware-1.0.14-0.pm.0.noarch
        hotplug is needed by alsa-firmware-1.0.14-0.pm.0.noarch
[chris at p733 ~]$ man rpm

Chris