semi-pro PCI snd crd for linux

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 3 18:45:19 UTC 2007

Tyler Aviss wrote:
> I also have an SBLive Card but /w the frontal LiveDrive port, which
> adds extra connectors/controls including RCA, and Optical. As I don't
> have anything optical/digital to plug into, I can't test the
> functionality, but have you considered checking for a cheap LiveDrive
> module on ebay or whatever?

What would that do for me. Is it a kind of hardware front end for the
card. What problem would it solve? Or does it just make things easier or
hands-on? I'm askign because I'm curious as to why, and also because
it's been suggested to me that I get a mic pre-amp/compressor (by a
talented but busy recording engineer) but still don't fully understand
why I need it. I don't like to buy things until I "get" why I need them...

Chris

<snip>