EMU 1212 M too much for P III?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 3 14:27:23 UTC 2007

On Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 11:46:27PM -0400, Chris Aitken wrote:
> With the help of list members I got the alsa-tools and alsa-firmware I
> needed to get sound out of my EMU 1212 M. Unfortunately alsamixergui
> hangs my system. I ran ps ax and found the alsamixergui process. I ran
> kill 2553 to quit alsamixergui and unfreeze my system.
>
> Is the EMU 1212 M soundcard too much for my Compaq P III 733 MHz
> computer? I've hung onto this PC because the box is so quiet...
> The sales dude at the store said not to worry about the MHz on my PC -
> he said hardware is hardware - it's the Windows software that they use
> to gauge the suggested processor speed.

Well it shouldn't be any problem for your machine.  I have never used
the gui version of alsamixer, only the console version.

Certainly the emu10001 was fine on a 700MHz machine (and even a 200MHz
machine), and the emu10002 is only about 2 to 4 times the performance,
so I can't see how it could be an issue.  Maybe you have a bug, or you
are using alsa tools that are a different version than your drivers
(which sometimes cause weird problems).

--
Len Sorensen