semi-pro PCI snd crd for linux

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 2 17:20:25 UTC 2007

Chris Aitken wrote:

Sorry, I'm top-posting to make an apology and explanation for reviving
this thread. I lost the responses I got to this post. I did a clean
install (fedora) to give me the kernel and alsa versions I need for a
semi-pro sound card. The backup I had to re-construct my mail (which was
an adventure)from was old as we moved and I accumulated a lot of email
before I got the backup machine set up again. 'nuff said.

I did buy (and physically install) the EMU 1212 M PCI sound card. I have
eight business days now to get this working under linux (I've been
drywalling my home recording studio) before I send it back (30-day
return) to L&McQ.

It's being detected as the Creative Labs SB Audigy, but no sound comes
out of it. The first thing I had to wrap my mind around was that it has
no 'spkr' output. I assume the 1/4" OUTs are what go the speakers.
Someone on this list (Lennart?) explained to me (IIRC) that I can't just
"trivially" (meaning, I guess, that it /looks/ connected but it ain't
done /right)/ hook up the sound card OUT to speakers - they must be
balanced (TRS) 1/4" ends. I understand now that "stereo", "balanced" and
"TRS" (tip, ring, sleeve) are synonymous. So, I have a 1/4" male
-to-1/8" female adaptor from the sound card to the TRS 1/8" male that
goes to the PC speakers. Still no sound. The speakers do work as I can
get sound from the onboard card (which I thought I disabled in the BIOS,
but just seems to be only a tab selection away from testing in the GUI
System>Administration>Soundcard Detection).

I will test the 1/4" male -to-1/8" female adaptor (that I have in the
soundcard) to make sure it works. I'll go to alsa-projects.org again to
see how to get the card working under linux. There also is a good hacker
working in the local Krazy Krazy who might take this on. So, I need to
do all I can quickly, so I can it to him, see what he can do, and still
have time to get it back to L&McQ by Sept 17.

Suggestions would be welcome.

Chris