New computer - x64 or x32?

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 2 01:36:34 UTC 2007

As sad as I am to say it, unless you need the extra >4G of RAM, you'll
probably be happier with a 32-bit distro on your 64-bit CPU. I've been
using a 64-bit debian on my dual-opteron machine, and despite some
performance increases in ripping movies, etc, in general the lack of
support for some apps under the 64-bit environment is a big
pain-in-the-butt.

64bit
- Higher memory support
- Some speed increase in various instances
- Better scalability
- May use more memory (some 64-bit binaries)

32bit
- Supports more apps, including the adobe flash plugin for firefox, etc
- In the event of machine death, you can still boot on a 32-bit CPU

Also see here:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=616&num=3