newby bash script question

Alex Maynard maynarda-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 1 19:59:03 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I'm sorry to be posting you what should be a very simple
bash script question. Somehow I haven't quite been able to find an answer to this.
(Probably I am picking bad search words on google.)

It boils down to not being able to cd properly inside a bash  script.

What I am trying to is to run a script from directory A
A$./script
That would have the same effect as using cd to get to directory
B and then running a file. Specifically, I would like the script to do
the command line equivalent of:

A$ cd B
B$ latex file.tex

which is my case produces different results then
A$ latex B/file.tex

because the first way latex would look for other files (such as style
files) in directory B where they should be but the second way it
will look for them in A instead where it won't find them.

Sorry for posting such a basic question and thanks very much for any
suggestions you might have.

Alex