cheap GPS / buy a Microsoft product!

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 1 16:36:59 UTC 2007

Interesting. Questions -

- The factory direct web page has no mention of any hardware. Is the
locator something they're bundling with the package? Or it's just
something that comes with the software from Microsoft?

- Is there *any* linux software that will talk to the locator?

Thanks for pointing this out...

Peter

> I noticed that the Factory Direct flyer in today's Star offers the
> Microsoft Streets and Trips 2006 with GPS Locator for $39.99
>
> This seems like a good price.  The locator will work under Linux.  It is a
> little box + cable that plugs into a USB port.  The software is of course
> useless under Linux.
>
> Linux mapping software could be improved.  So buy one of these and pitch
> in :-)
>
> As usual, phone Factory Direct before making a trip: they often don't
> stock what they advertise.

Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto
http://www.syscompdesign.com
USB Oscilloscope and Waveform Generator
647-839-0325