Browser settings and multiple httpd on a single server

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 1 14:09:58 UTC 2007

On 9/1/07, Kihara Muriithi <william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I am wondering what steps one can take to allow firefox/IE or any
> other browser for that matter to be able to access two apache servers
> listening on different ports, but using the same IP without having to
> manually change browser's settings any time you want to visit the
> server on non standard port?
>
> To be more descriptive, I have two servers pop.example.com and
> lists.example.com. Both run on the same IP and the later is listening
> on 3128. This was necessary as the httpd.conf file needed by the two
> service are not compatible. Is there any simple solution for this
> problem out there? Users tend not to like changing stuff often, so my
> solution has found considerable resistance

Hi William,

If you're using Apache, there are a couple methods you might be able
to use such as name-based virtual hosting and URL rewriting.
Additional information can be found in the Apache manual:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/misc/rewriteguide.html

For a quick fix (great for testing), you should be able to just add
the port number in the url:
  First Server ->  http://pop.example.com/
  Second -> http://pop.example.com:3128/

--
Scott Elcomb  [ http://www.psema4.com/ ]

"Our Founders' faith in the viability of representative democracy
rested on their trust in the wisdom of a well-informed citizenry,
their ingenious design for checks and balances, and their belief that
the rule of reason is the natural sovereign of a free people." - Al
Gore (The Assault on Reason, 2008)

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  - Benjamin Franklin

'"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting
on its shoes."  - Mark Twain