Looking for a GTA source for Toshiba R500 laptop

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 30 15:30:08 UTC 2007

On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 09:51:14AM -0400, Alex Beamish wrote:
> A classmate of mine is coming into Toronto and is looking for
> somewhere in the GTA to pick up a Toshiba Ultraportable R500:
>
>   http://www.trustedreviews.com/notebooks/review/2007/09/29/Toshiba-Port-g-R500-10U-Ultra-Portable-Notebook/p1
>
> I have to say that this looks like an awesome laptop. Anyway .. Can
> anyone on the list recommend a store in the GTA that would sell such a
> beast?
>
> My favourite PC store Sonnam [1] only carries four laptops, none of
> them as gorgeous as the R500. Thanks All!

Ouch, pricey little thing.  Amazing weight though.  My wife doesn't seem
to think her 2.0kg tablet is a weight problem though (although she did
move from a 15.4" compaq presario which was giant).

Only place in the GTA that carries it as far as I can tell is:
http://www.infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=350046

You would have to call them to check if they have it in stock or not.

Other than that it seems online at CDW has it (well they have some
coming in, they are all out at the moment).

Of course other not quite as light notebooks are much more powerful and
a lot less money, such as the Asus F9S-B1 for example, and generally
much easier to find.  And they are not Toshibas (My past experience with
Toshibas involved too much proprietary hardware for my liking.  Linux
was not easy to install.  Neither was windows actually).

With the ultralighs you give up a lot of performance and features and
pay a fortune to get it a pound and a bit lighter.

--
Len Sorensen