Semi-OT: Touch sensors

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 29 05:08:28 UTC 2007

Hello All,

One of my ongoing projects has been to wire up a few mini-ITX boards
as "media control" PC's for around the house. Basically the idea is
that the board connects to the main household server via PXE-boot,
NFS-mount, etc. It will be attached to a lilliput touchscreen (for
which the linux drivers work nicely, BTW).

Now the end-plan for this is to move the touchscreen into a picture
frame, with the rest of the wiring in-wall or just otherwise somehow
safely hidden. What I would like to do is have a touch-sensor attached
to either the picture frame or perhaps a little plaque attached to a
wooden frame. Like a touch-lamp, the sensor would then turn on the
screen. Depending on how fast I can get my boot-time going with
openbios and "sleep" modes, the motherboard... although I may just opt
to leave this on 90% of the time since via boards consume very little
power.

Anyhow, feel free to critique the idea as a whole, but my main
question at this point is:
where do I find the equipment needed to make a touch-sensitive metal
surface for the frame/plaque.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

TJA