boot from usb key?

Matt Price matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 29 03:13:57 UTC 2007

hi daniel,

On Sun, 2007-10-28 at 19:42 -0400, Daniel Wayne Armstrong wrote:
> On 10/28/07, Matt Price <matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > i'm trying to install ubuntu on a thinkpad x31, which doesn't have a
> > disk drive.  So i want to do it from a usb key, though i'd accept other
> > methods if people think they're better.  Anyway, I tried following the
> > directions on:
>
> Hi Matt... I just bought a x31 myself off ebay and installed debian
> using a usb stick. I don't know how transferable the steps taken are
> to a ubuntu install... but this is what I did:
>
> STEP 1
>
> - configure the bios to support usb hd booting and place it before hd
> booting... and enable usb bios support

check

> STEP 2
>
> - create a single FAT16 partition on the usb stick using cfdisk

check (i used fdisk, is cfdisk better?)

> STEP 3
>
> - grab some files...
>
> ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/installer-i386/20070308etch1/images/hd-media/vmlinuz
> ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/installer-i386/20070308etch1/images/hd-media/initrd.gz
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/4.0_r1/i386/iso-cd/debian-40r1-i386-netinst.iso

very helpful, thanks!

> STEP 4
>
> - on my debian system I used to prepare the usb stick... install these pkgs...
>
> apt-get install syslinux mtools dosfstools mbr

check

> STEP 5
>
> - configure the usb stick (**with the assumption that the device is sda**)
>
> mkdosfs /dev/sda1
> install-mbr /dev/sda
> syslinux /dev/sda1
> mount -t msdos /dev/sda1 /mnt
> mv debian-40r1-i386-netinst.iso net40r1.iso
> cp -v initrd.gz vmlinuz net40r1.iso /mnt/

excellent, check

> STEP 6
>
> - create the 'syslinux.cfg' file on the usb stick with these parameters...
>
> default vmlinuz
> append initrd=initrd.gz ramdisk_size=12000 root=/dev/ram rw

check, see below

> STEP 7
>
> - save and unmount...
>
> sync
> umount /dev/sda1
>
> STEP 8
>
> - plug the usb stick into the x31 and reboot... when you see...
>
> MBR FA:
>
> ...hit 'a', which changes the prompt to...
>
> MBR 1234A:
>
> ...hit '1' and the debian installer starts...

on my system the pen drive just booted right into linux without any
prompts, and...  left me where i'd been with my ubuntu attempt, at a
blankc screen.  but this particular set of instructions clarified
something for me, i guess:  now i understand that syslinux is just a
bootloader! & so i tried what i would have done on grub, namely, added
the parameters "vesa vga=771" to the append= line.  and voila, on the
next boot the old, familiar, blue debian installer screen was there.
hooray!  In the end i decided to install ubuntu on this machine again,
though i'm sort of regretting it now -- but since i understand the
process now i suppose i can reinstall as often and as absurdly as  i
like.

> Hope this helps... Best of luck!

yes, helped indeed.  thanks!

matt