locked out of home directory??

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 26 18:22:14 UTC 2007

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:

> It is not business of Group or Others to list your personal files.
>
> I am not sure if Linux programs take things enougth seriously. I would
> think that personal home directory should have persmissions drwx------

Really it is a personal choice.  A lot of people have world readable and
searchable home directories (the "world" in this case being the system)
while others restrict access.  It all depends on who the other users are
and whether you trust them.  On a home fileserver you probably trust other
family members to access your files (imagine how annoying it would be to
call your wife from work to ask her to access a file for you only to be
told she's getting access denied).  Similiarly in the work place other
people in your group may need access to those files and maybe everyone on
the system needs access.  You can always make subdirectories more
restrictive if you need to.

> But than, mayb,e some programs would stop to work...

If you don't make $HOME world searchable (a+x) then .plan & .project won't
work in fingerd - but almost no one uses finger these days anyway.
Similarly, if you keep your email in $HOME (eg, mbox) and you don't allow
$HOME to be searchable then "Received mail" info available to other users
(eg, in fingerd again) won't work either.

Cheers,

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"