ECMAScript ("Javascript") Version 4 - Official Overview

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 25 16:38:07 UTC 2007

On 10/25/07, Alex Maynard <maynarda-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2007, Ian Petersen wrote:
> > You make complete sense here, and you're certainly not alone in your
> > concerns.  A user who browses the web with scripting enabled is
> > essentially walking around asking other people to take advantage of
> > the opportunity to execute some code remotely.
>
> Sorry to interrupt with a very basic unsophisticated question, but would
> protecting oneself amount to unchecking the enable Javascript box under
> preferences/content in  firefox or is there is something you would
> recommend?  Thanks a lot,

I think that would protect you, but it's a big hammer--you'd be
blocking scripting on _every_ page.  Depending on your level of
paranoia, you might want to allow scripting on some "trusted" pages.
I believe the NoScript plugin will do that for you, but I've never
used it and besides Google, I wouldn't know where to find it.

Ian

--
Tired of pop-ups, security holes, and spyware?
Try Firefox: http://www.getfirefox.com