Open source in schools

Asaf Maruf asafmaruf-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 24 02:16:47 UTC 2007

Someone in Calgary is doing LTSP deployments:
(http://www.itinfusion.ca/linux/ltsp-converting-200-aging-pcs-into-screaming-thin-clients/)

I think there are two implementations to consider. One is introducing
a Linux distro like Edubuntu for primary schools. The students will
learn simple stuff like math, spellings, art etc. The little ones get
an introduction to open source and Linux and the school benefits by
deploying a school lab at zero licensing cost. Some of the
requirements as listed by Tyler may be valid like support, server
sizing etc.

However, the second implementation will be a full fledged LTSP
deployment and all the requirements listed are very valid and proper
planning, designing is to be carried out. In addition, it is important
to revamp the existing network infrastructure to handle high network
traffic. Also a detailed evaluation of existing applications be
carried out to ensure percentage of success. This is where we (TLUG)
can play a very positive role. Talking enterprise level deployment
here.

I agree that a Linux/open source project that doesn't do well is
noticed by almost everyone. While critics tend to accept
failures/shortcomings of *other* operating systems.

In my last job our whole network was on LTSP since 2003 and never
faced a problem in communicating with the rest of the world. Of course
we were an IT company and could handle the issues that arose.

It is a good idea as suggested in this thread to go with a first-level
migration by introducing new users to cross-platform open source
applications like Firefox, Gaim (Pidgin), OpenOffice, GIMP,
Thunderbird etc etc. These are available at www.theopencd.org (i just
got to know that the new name is http://theopendisc.com/ and
http://softwarefreedomday.org/. And http://www.ttcsweb.org/osswin-cd/.

Finally, LTSP project is being led by Jim who is a good friend and a
great guy to work with.

My 2c.

Asaf

On 10/23/07, Tyler Aviss <tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> My experience with this (working in a district that is greatly Linux
> and moreso over time) is that students and staff like it quite a lot
> in terms of speed and functionality  compared to our locked-down
> windows stations, but that the transition is hell unless you do a
> really strong audit of your existing network/software infrastructure,
> and take a good look at software that doesn't have a linux/FOSS
> equivalent.
>
> Many of the schools here run on thin clients. They're nice to
> administer (central server), but lack of good backups may be the death
> of us in that arena (no server, no clients). The majority of common
> software is available to students/staff, they can login anywhere and
> access their files, and there are a lot of conveniences. We've
> definitely had issues with poor planning (aka it was oftimes crammed
> down people's throats without assessing the important windows-only
> software), poor implementation (daisy-chained 10/100 switches, no gig
> uplinks, servicing 50-100+ clients and one server), and
> miscommunication. It's a good way to give the techs white hairs (in my
> case, hair loss), and a very good way to sour staff on what might
> otherwise be a very positive IT environment.
>
> So my personal opinion is somewhat mixed. I still say that a Linux
> environment in education can be a great thing, but a poor
> implementation creates havoc and just turns people off on the whole
> concept.
>
> Things to consider:
>
> * Server power
> * Redundancy
> * Backup
> * Existing software
> * Existing hardware (compatability)
> * Network infrastructure (including wiring, plain Cat5 doesn't do gig very well)
> * Interface (KDE, gnome, etc)
> * Security (NFS = insecure, and many others)
> * Training
> * etc
>
> If looking to switch, it's also not a bad idea at all to get people
> started with cross-platform FOSS software, for example: Firefox,
> Thunderbird, OpenOffice, GIMP, Blender, GAIM, most google stuff
> (somewhat), and others. It helped here at work, and also when I
> switched my grandparents over to 'nix from win2k, and my cousin from
> XP. It didn't hurt that my grandparents' "Hoyle Card Games" works
> nicely in wine, nor that my cousin finds Vista a more painful switch
> than Linux :-)
>

> On 10/23/07, phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org <phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > > As a LUG i feel we should be more pro-active in this area.
> >                   ^^
> >
> > Is that the Royal We? Or the External We (ie, you guys)?
> >
> > This reminds me for some reason of my colleague's memo pad that says at
> > the top 'I've got a good idea, you do this instead of me.'
> >
> > The trick to getting others involved in a project is (as Tom Sawyer points
> [...]

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is
much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that
might be wrong." - Richard P. Feynman