Open source in schools

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 23 22:08:44 UTC 2007

On 10/23/07, Asaf Maruf <asafmaruf-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> What is the status of open source penetration in schools here in
> Canada. It is better to be exposed to open source at an early age.
> There are a number of options available like setting up school labs
> using LTSP. I think someone in Calgary is doing that. Secondly, with
> distributions like Edubuntu, Knosciences it is very compelling.
>
> As a LUG i feel we should be more pro-active in this area.

There's not a lot of this sort of penetration; curriculum tends to be
dictated by the provincial Ministry of Education, and they have been
pretty heavily lobbied by Microsoft.

It's an interesting matter; there are possibilities.  If you want to
volunteer to help with this, that would be a good thing.  I'd suggest
asking around to see if others have done some relevant work and made
relevant contacts that you could help with.
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)