[OT]: Planes safer than cars?

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 22 17:53:31 UTC 2007

Flying in the face of conventional wisdom - and partially relevant to
the thread "Geek woman news story of possible interest..."[1] is this
CNN article:

"NASA refuses to disclose air safety survey"
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TRAVEL/10/22/nasa.air.safety.ap/index.html

While this isn't related to terrorism, I still think it has some
repercussions as regards to the general usage of aircraft for transit.
 In particular, this quote scares the crap outta me[2]:

'A senior NASA official, associate administrator Thomas S. Luedtke,
said revealing the findings could damage the public's confidence in
airlines and affect airline profits. Luedtke acknowledged that the
survey results "present a comprehensive picture of certain aspects of
the U.S. commercial aviation industry."'

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.user-groups.linux.tolug/35517
[2] I personally don't fly very often, but through various FOSS
communities, clients, family, etc. I know many that do.

--
  Scott Elcomb
  http://www.psema4.com/