[OT]: What is this on Google Maps?

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 22 15:59:15 UTC 2007

Hey all,

The recent thread on "Crap in Google Earth" (GE is interesting, but
bloated and not particularly useful AFAICT) got me thinking about an
"artifact" I discovered a few weeks ago in Google Maps while
researching an article on Global Warming.

I'm really not sure what it is, but I have a couple theories:

- It's the largest "Golden Ticket" produced by Willy Wonka
- It's the remnants of a _huge_ construction project from some ancient
society in Greenland.

Lol.  At first I thought it might just be some imaging artifact - part
of the satellite itself perhaps.  Considering the scales involved
though, I'm not so sure.  Whatever it is, it _appears_ very large
(approx. 40km long by 15km wide) and "emerging" from the ice.  Looks
kinda like an Construction-Orange I-beam.

To check it out plug this into Google Maps:
  70.546862, -40.067139

--
  Scott Elcomb
  http://www.psema4.com/