printing problem (pdf) with HP Deskjet 5940

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 22 13:30:06 UTC 2007

On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 04:35:38PM -0400, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> It prints text files.
>
> When I open pdf file (Evince; this is on CentOS 5) and start printing,
> in "Document print status" I see initially message "printing"
> fiollowed by "completed". But no sign of attempt to print by printer
> itself.
>
> Googling did not help much. It throws out a lot of interesting links
> but I do not find the right info. Funny thing is that etering
> "printing PDF on Linux" gives rather info about how to configure CUPS
> to create a pdf file, not how to print a pdf file.
>
> Somewhere I found this simple recipe:
>     lpr -P HPDeskJet5940 IMM5574E.pdf
> But it also does not seem to do anything and I see no related errors
> in /var/log/messages.
>
> I see there however something else that must be related to printing,
> something like this:
>
> Oct 20 16:07:55 localhost hpijs: unable to send DeviceStatus: Bad file
> descriptor: hplip_api.c 650
>
> That message repeats itself since last Thusday, a few times every
> second, and /var/log/messages is already 3 GB large (I do not remember
> if or what I did last Thusday that would be ralted to printing,
> actually I think that I did nothing related to printing). lpq does not
> show any jobs in quee.
>
> I have no good understanding how printing works.
>
> 1. How to print pdf files?
> 2. How to stop hpjis message going into log file?

PDFs just print like any other file for me (lpr somefile.pdf) using
cups.

No clue about hpjis.

I do know cups tends to need ghostscript, a2ps, and a few other tools
installed to work properly.  foomatic might be needed too.

Your error message seems to indicate a problem with hpjis though.  Do
other types of files print fine?

--
Len Sorensen