printing problem (pdf) with HP Deskjet 5940

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 20 20:35:38 UTC 2007

It prints text files.

When I open pdf file (Evince; this is on CentOS 5) and start printing,
in "Document print status" I see initially message "printing"
fiollowed by "completed". But no sign of attempt to print by printer
itself.

Googling did not help much. It throws out a lot of interesting links
but I do not find the right info. Funny thing is that etering
"printing PDF on Linux" gives rather info about how to configure CUPS
to create a pdf file, not how to print a pdf file.

Somewhere I found this simple recipe:
    lpr -P HPDeskJet5940 IMM5574E.pdf
But it also does not seem to do anything and I see no related errors
in /var/log/messages.

I see there however something else that must be related to printing,
something like this:

Oct 20 16:07:55 localhost hpijs: unable to send DeviceStatus: Bad file
descriptor: hplip_api.c 650

That message repeats itself since last Thusday, a few times every
second, and /var/log/messages is already 3 GB large (I do not remember
if or what I did last Thusday that would be ralted to printing,
actually I think that I did nothing related to printing). lpq does not
show any jobs in quee.

I have no good understanding how printing works.

1. How to print pdf files?
2. How to stop hpjis message going into log file?

zb.