Print jobs on ubuntu (Feisty Fawn)

Paul King sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 19 08:54:31 UTC 2007

Ubuntu detected my wireless printer (a Brother MFC-640CW), and I was
able to download and install drivers for it. The problem is that it
simply won't print. Brother recommends an MFC-210C driver for my printer
under Linux/CUPS.

If I send a test page from the CUPS dialog, the test page stops dead,
and a message appears in the CUPS state column saying "Stopped:
job-stopped". The printer remains silent. This is true for all print
jobs sent from Linux, regardless of the method (command line, dialog,
application (Adobe Acrobat was tried), or a CUPS window). The correct
syntax of lpr was used on the command line and in the Acrobat dialog.

I can telnet to the IP of the printer and print a test page directly
from the printer. I just can't do anything in Linux. The printer works
great in Window$. This means that the network and printer are both
working.

Paul King