Distro pick head ache openSuse10.3 vs. ubunutu gutsy ?

Asaf Maruf asafmaruf-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 18 03:50:15 UTC 2007

I would wait and see Gutsy before comparing with OpenSuse 10.3. The
novell distro is much richer in terms of applications and
presentation.

Admittedly Gutsy is packaging a lot of goodies with this release. And
i know for a fact that they have collaborated with LTSP directly to
make it easy to setup thin clients.

D-day is tomorrow.

Asaf

On 10/17/07, tleslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I need to upgrade my main machine, and its obviously a choice between
> openSuse 10.3 and gutsy because they are both just released distros.
>
> I was assuming months ago I was going to switch to ubuntu gutsy (i use
> open suse 10.2 now).
>
> I couldn't help notice the ubuntu community just keeps getting bigger
> and bigger, and I am a firm believer a kick ass community makes for a
> good distro.
>
> Also lately the blog reviews on linux news sites have dumped on
> opensuse10.3
> but in a google for opensuse10.3 in more main stream outlets,
> the reviews have actually been stellar.
>
> beta gutsy reviews have been good, but it seems opensuse 10.3
> made a bigger jump from 10.2 more then gutsy did from fiesty,
> but then fiesty might have started out better then 10.2
> so who knows where absolutely they end up.
>
> I am 60% in favour of switching to ubuntu and 40% with Suse,
> and looking for more info before I install the "winner".
>
> For me, i will install the loser in vmware.
> But since there is copy paste issues and the fact you can't
> 3D desktop and get the audio proper via vmware,
> the loser in vmware is more just for particular apps, etc
> that might run better then the winner.
>
> For me the benifit of Suse is:
>
> - I dev. in Mono.
> - Suse has more experience in 3D desktop, i.e. they brought out
> compiz in 10.2 and beryl (and now fusion) is a fork and recombine
> of compiz anyways.
> - Suse tends to have better support for Oracle, etc, and i do use SLES
> on servers, and Unbuntu isn't there yet.
>
> Benefit of ubunutu is:
>
> - large community, and even when i google for multimedia issue
> i find more answers in ubuntu forms then in suse forms.
> - larger community means things usually means bugs/oddities get hashed
> out earlier.
> - bullet proof X seems like a good idea (not sure maybe suse10.3 has it
> but they havnt stated it).
> - Suse's "noob menu system sucks, and i put it in classic mode anyways"
> - with Dell flogging it , i might get better odd ball HW compat.
> - i think there is better software repo's for ubuntu.
> - ubuntu does a 6 month distro rotation, open suse longer.
>

> As much as people may read this and suggest  gentoo, or pclinux, ......
> I absolutely am down to strictly considering 10.3 or gutsy,
> and its looking like i will be leaning to gutsy
> unless some list members have other feed back that makes me change my
> mind.
> If members can give even more pluses for gutsy, well then i will feel
> better, because then i will not be so torn.
>
> I run a quad 2.8 GHz opteron system with 8GB ram and a nvidia 7900GT,
> dual monitor HP30" and Samsung 22" together for a 3760x1600 desktop.
> Suse has support this set up great now, I assume ubuntu would to.
>

> Gutsy is out tomorrow, so i need to make up my mind quick!!
>
> -tl

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is
much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that
might be wrong." - Richard P. Feynman