question about laptop fan

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 17 19:06:54 UTC 2007

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 05:03:18PM -0400, Dominic Bonfiglio wrote:
> I have an IBM T42p that I've owned for four years. For the last two
> weeks, I've been hearing extra noise periodically from the fan, a kind
> of fluttering sound. Yesterday when I went to turn on my laptop, I got a
> fan error, and the computer refused to boot. Fortunately after a few
> attempts the computer eventually started. Based on some Internet
> research, it seems likely that my fan needs either cleaning or servicing
> or replacement. Has anyone out there had similar difficulties with their
> fan? Would cleaning a fan be easy for a novice? Or should I just take my
> computer to a professional and forget about tinkering with it myself?

Well the bearings (if that is what they even are) on my wifes 3 year old
compaq died on one of the two fans by the cpu.  I disconnected the
power, and it runs the other one just fine.  So far so good.  No idea
where to get a new fan given they appear to be custom made for the job
(the two fans are not even identical, although similar).

--
Len Sorensen