The Bug: Open Source Hardware

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 17 15:03:21 UTC 2007

I came across a Wired article[1] today on some up-and-coming Open
Source Hardware.  After browsing around the Bug Labs site[2], I'd say
the concept has some merit, though I'm not sure it'll be a feasible
platform for startups/companies to create/market products based on it.

Fully modular, open schematics, and running on Open Source Software,
The Bug certainly appeals to the geek in me.  Their online store is to
open by the end of 2007, according to the site. It'll be interesting
to see what the pricing situation looks like.

The base units' technical specs are listed on the Products page[3].
Specs for the pluggable modules don't look to be available yet.

- Scott.

[1] http://blog.wired.com/sterling/2007/10/open-source-har.html
[2] http://www.buglabs.net/
[3] http://www.buglabs.net/products