Linux on a stick

Daniel Wayne Armstrong dwarmstrong-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 17 14:02:18 UTC 2007

On 10/16/07, Andrew Cowie <andrew-2KHxOkysSnqmy7d5DmSz6TlRY1/6cnIP at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 18:22 -0400, James Knott wrote:
> > http://www.debuntu.org/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-usb-bar
>
> This summer I found myself using a USB key to bootstrap a new laptop
> intended to run Gentoo. It worked surprisingly well. The end result was
> using something called extlinux as a bootloader for ext2 filesystems,
> and a Gentoo LiveCD image (which doubles as their install media).
> http://research.operationaldynamics.com/blogs/andrew/software/gentoo-linux/usb-bootstrap.html

This past weekend I did a usb-boot install of Debian on a Thinkpad
X31... It was a bit of a challenge to correctly setup the usb-stick,
but I finally got it to work...

Thanks for the heads-up about extlinux/syslinux! The docs on the
website describe a much more generic setup that I can use to boot and
install other *.iso images in the future...