rsync performance

Dave Bour dcbour-Uj1Tbf34OBsy5HIR1wJiBuOEVfOsBSGQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 17 09:52:15 UTC 2007

2GB+/- files are not uncommon for me.  I've clients backing up from both Windows and Linux boxes with files in that size via DSL.  The only issue I've encountered is offlining (or making an offline copy prior to backup and use that instead) for the duration of the backup as it sometimes takes over a day to fully sync up.  That said, I've currently 56 clients backing up over that same DSL connection daily (hence a full change to the multiple gb file takes a while to get to the server).
Somebody already commented on the compression/encryption issue about the entire file changing internally even though the source only changed slightly.  That's also been my experience.
Now if only someone could do a compression on the server side, leaving the sources uncompressed and the ability to rsync into that...that would be useful...
D.