Can't access my web server

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 15 17:05:21 UTC 2007

Madison Kelly wrote:

> JoeHill wrote:
> > That's weird, because I can access everything locally, ie. if I point my
> > browser at 192.168.0.12 I get the web page, and I can connect over ssh as
> > well, by hostname or IP. I hope Teksavvy has not changed their policy and
> > begun blocking the lower ports. Would nmap pick that up?
>
> To test that, change your http server to a different port (ie: 88 or
> 8080) and try 'freeyourmachine.org:88' and see if you get anything.
> Failing that, I'd look into something blocking port 80.
>
> "Low" ports are anything under 1024, generally. So I doubt it's that
> general a block because if it was, 143 et. al. would not work.

Good point. I did try 8080 and got the same error (I did remember to update the
port forward on the router and restart Apache service).

Now, in trying this, I am using an 'anonymiser' to test, as I cannot simply
point my browser to freeyourmachine.org. Apparently I cannot surf to my site
from the same IP it's located on.

Thanks for the tips. What else could possibly be blocking this?

--
JoeHill