Home theatre screen (Was: Tigerdirect.ca prices)

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 15 01:23:05 UTC 2007

> ...a few months ago I bought a
> home theater PC case from the Tiger Direct shop in
> Etobicoke. Now good looking home theater cases are a
> bit of a specialty item (i.e. most of the College /
> Spadina shops DON'T carry them). Of the few shops
> around that do, at least at the time Tiger Direct was
> the least expensive option.

Just in case this is of interest to anyone, we recently had occasion to
put together a trade-show booth with a projection screen. The available
units were too big and too expensive. I came across an article on the web
that recommended using 'blackout curtain' which is available from
fabricland here in Toronto. The article had directions on making a
home-theatre screen. This material has a shiny side which is quite a good
reflector.

We had a seamstress sew pockets into the edges and then built a knock-down
frame of copper plumbing pipe. The whole thing with other banners etc
rolled up and fit nicely into a carrying tube from Curry's Art Store. It
looked quite satisfactory in the booth. Total cost, material, sewing, pipe
around $70.

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto