cached - any tools to explain what has been cached on linux

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 14 21:40:09 UTC 2007

On 10/14/07, tleslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I set up a machine with postgres,
> and a 16GB of RAM and its really quick as compared to
> a similar machine running postgres with similar DB
> and only 3GB RAM.
>
> Does anyone know of any utils or profiling tools
> that would explain what the cache in linux
> is doing?
>
> TOP:
>
> Mem:  16440144k total, 12889668k used,  3550476k free,    69076k buffers
> Swap:  2104472k total,    10732k used,  2093740k free, 10203404k cached
>
> i'd love to know how/what is in that 10 GB of cache
>
> i know it stores allocation blocks for programs to use, but its
> got to be so much more then that.

I'd almost die for a machine with that much RAM.

I'm not sure how to translate this from Assembly programming to Linux
Administration, but how much "data area" was allocated at the time you
took the snapshot?  How many processes were running, and were there
any that would be considered "data heavy?"  (Eg. media players, office
suites, 3d games, etc.)

--
  Scott Elcomb
  http://www.psema4.com/