Ordering from Amazon.COM (USA)

Meng Cheah meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 13 00:53:52 UTC 2007

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Salman Ahmed wrote:
>
>> Recently, someone on this list (I forget who that was) mentioned
>> Amazon.COM having better prices than Amazon.CA. I checked last night
>> for a few books that I am planning on getting and not only were the
>> prices better but a couple of those books are not available new through
>> Amazon.CA.
>>
>> So, to the OP or whom ever else has had experience ordering from
>> Amazon.COM: are taxes charged on books ordered through Amazon.COM? Any
>> other charges besides shipping & handling?
>>

> That might have been me. It was convenient in that I am visiting family
> in the US next week and simply instructed amazon.com to ship my books
> there. Having said that, I did note that amazon.com did list shipping
> prices to Canada (and the free shipping deals don't apply to Canada.)
>
> Books coming here from the US may be intercepted by customs; while they
> will not charge duty they may require the payment of GST on the order.
> (But then if you were ordering from amazon.ca you'd have to pay that
> anyway.)

You may also want to compare shipping costs ($4.99/shipment, $3.99/item
for amazon.com vs $3.95/shipment and $1.95/item for amazon.ca), assuming
$Can=$US.

My brother who used to buy from amazon.com, claimed that he has not been
charged for GST in the past.
He now buys from amazon.ca.

I think it depends on the particular books you want.
Eg. Naomi Klein's "The Shock Doctrine" is $16.80 (40% off from
amazon.com) and $18.48 (50% off from amazon.ca).

Meng