The Inhumanity of MMP

Marcus Brubaker marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 10 16:22:55 UTC 2007

Ian Petersen wrote:
> Doesn't this happen occasionally in the existing system anyway?  I
> could be wrong, but I have vague memories of parties replacing a
> back-bencher with their leader when the back-bencher wins his riding,
> but the leader loses his.

When this happens there is a by-election in that riding.  It isn't done
often and is usually only done after a new leader is chosen between
elections.  It is almost never done (that I know of) when the leader has
lost their seat.  In fact, if an election goes so badly that a leader
looses their seat, that person is not likely to remain the leader for long.

For instance, it was suggested that a member should step down allow Jack
Layton to run for parliament when he was first selected to lead the
federal NDP but the party decided against it.

Marcus