The Inhumanity of MMP

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 10 02:11:15 UTC 2007

Marcus Brubaker wrote:

>> The ability for a riding to recall its representative in mid-term is IMO
>> a far more useful change than proportional representation could ever be.
>>
> Those could all be good things but I see it as an orthogonal discussion
> to this one.

Not really. The "citizen's assembly" was charged with electoral reform
and MMP was the best they could come up with. This indicates, to me,
that those that claim that the CA serves political party interests over
those of the electorate have a point.

> MMP is targeted towards making the platform preferences of the populace
> better represented in parliament.

At the expense of complexity, new MPPs without public accountability,
more yet weaker government, and less value on individual contributions
compared to those of the party.

The vote tomorrow will be worth it if it fails bad enough to kill the
idea, and make people think about reform driven to suit the electorate
rather than minority parties.

What I find most interesting is a recent Globe survey which indicates
that the more informed the electorate, the greater the opposition to
MMP. Maybe the system works after all.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071009.wontpollreferendum09/BNStory/ontarioelection2007/Ontario/

- Evan