FPTP vs MMP

Marcus Brubaker marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 10 01:33:34 UTC 2007

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Take a look around you. Small parties (such as Shas in Israel) have huge
> amounts of control in coalition minority governments -- which will be
> the rule rather the exception under MMP.
>
> When the mainstream parties are weakened and fringe parties empowered
> beyond their numbers as MMP would do, the very act of building a
> government after the election can be a national nightmare. For an
> extremely current and relevant example, look at what's happening NOW in
> Belgium. They had their election in June and the parties STILL cannot
> between them create a single coalition capable of leading.
>
> That' s right. Belgium has had no government for more than 100 days, and
> prospects for a quick settlement are 50/50. Similar has happened in
> other countries which have gone to 'fairer' systems. Legislative
> gridlock is practically invited in systems that require frequent
> coalition building, as MMP will do.

Israel and Belgium are true red herrings here.  Both are very young
democracies with serious social, political and religious divides.
Israel doesn't even use MMP, they use List PR which I don't think
*anyone* would propose for Ontario, not even the Israelis. The crisis in
Belgium has nothing to do with MMP, little to do with a minority
government and everything to do with fundamental divides about whether
Belgium should even be a country.  The same kind of things could happen
here with FPTP if we had several geographic parties.  In fact, FPTP
*encourages* geopolitical divisions in the electorate, witness the Bloc.

Marcus