Drupal with Postgresql & Mysql

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 9 21:49:07 UTC 2007

Jamon Camisso wrote:
> I had a little time over the weekend to convert my site (jamonation.com)
> from Mysql to Postgresql. I've been meaning to do it for a while.
> Notwithstanding the overall poor performance of the server in general
> (overloaded), I was surprised to find Postgresql outperformed Mysql
> with Drupal in every ab test I tried. I documented my cursory findings
> here: http://jamonation.com/node/734
>
> I was under the impression Mysql was supposedly faster (overall) than
> Postgresql. The site wasn't using innodb with mysql (which may be where
> the speed comparison holds), but most cmses don't by default from what
> I've seen.

PG has been faster and more consistent under heavy load than MySQL for
about the least four years. InnoDB is in fact slower than the default
MyISAM so that is not the issue. However, I have given up on running
Drupal backed by PostgreSQL because the extent of support for PostgreSQL
in many third-party modules consists of:

case 'pgsql':
// TODO

Core modules are fine but third-party support is spotty, at best. That
underscores a weakness of Drupal, namely that there is no good database
abstraction layer so module creators have to deal with differences
between various databases, which effectively means they ignore
everything but MySQL. From what I have seen of Drupal 6, there are some
positive steps to address that problem.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay