The Inhumanity of MMP

phillip-l+pbsqP8NtUm29vl6s1fFg at public.gmane.org phillip-l+pbsqP8NtUm29vl6s1fFg at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 9 19:15:20 UTC 2007

Quoting Mike Kallies <mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>:

> Personally I would rather see the candidates for the MMP placements
> selected from the unsuccessful canidates with the highest number of
> votes of all the party's ridings.

Percent rather than number would make more sense with unequal riding sizes,
but...ya.

My starting position is that any changes in the election mechanism should make
elected politicians more accountable to the public.  I see the current MMP
scheme as leading in the opposite direction from that goal.  So, I'm not
against the concept of changes, but I think this one is seriously flawed.

That and the price of 22 extra "representatives".