The Inhumanity of MMP

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 9 18:51:45 UTC 2007

Mike Kallies wrote:
> It is in the party's best interest to appear to follow a democratic
> process, else nobody will vote for them with that second vote.

Two parties are running.

One has policies that reflect a vision of the country you agree with,
but it's by coincidence because you had no say in policy development at
that party.

The other party uses Wikis to allow widespread comment and development
on policies, but the end result of that process is a series of
initiatives you believe would cause the country irrepairable harm.

Who would you vote for? The one with the democratic process, or the one
whose policies -- regardless of how they were made -- appeal to you more?

> Personally I would rather see the candidates for the MMP placements
> selected from the unsuccessful canidates with the highest number of
> votes of all the party's ridings.  That way, the MMP candidate is not
> selected by the party, but is selected by the people, but they're
> answerable to the members of their constituency...

That' s an interesting idea. I'd definitely have more support for this
than the existing MMP proposal. Of course, in such a system (which
resembles the wild-card selections in baseball and football playoffs)
such MMPs could maintain their popularity, but could lose their status
anyway if either the party loses popularity or other ridings have a
better second-place finishers. Something to think about...

- Evan