FPTP vs MMP

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 9 18:17:17 UTC 2007

Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> Jamon Camisso wrote:
> > Conversely, with the notion of abstraction and less direct access to
> > those MMP elected MPPs, the ability to make courageous political moves
> > would be increased, since those members need not be so accountable to
> > the whims of any particular electorate within a riding.
> That is simply not the case in theory or practice. They are accountable
> to their minority parties, not to the better good of the mainstream.
> Without direct riding accountability there is even less incentive to
> listen to the mainstream.
>
> Your own instinct -- and political history -- should indicate that
> minority and coalition governments are far less able to act quickly or
> make significant change than majority governments.

Really? Seems to me that the retards that we have in power federally don't have
a majority and have undertaken some of the most radical and unpopular
reformations of Canadian policy in generations, and they did it in just over a
year.

Of course, they've done this with the assurance that no matter what, they will
be reelected in sufficient numbers the next time around because the vocal
minority of people who follow Nascar and have 'We Support the Troops' stickers
on their SUV's will continue to vote for them because that's what they were told
to do by Reader's Digest and CFRB. These are the biggest opponents of MMP, and
they are with good reason. They really love having a completely disproportionate
representation in our democratic institutions.

I'm sure I _shouldn't_ need to mention the unbelievable political inertia we saw
under so many successive Liberal majorities.

Again, the right-wing hysteria ends up being the exact opposite of the truth.

--
JoeHill