fsck doesn't like LABEL= in fstab

Terry Tanski ttanski-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 9 02:52:25 UTC 2007

Giles Orr wrote:

> The corresponding lines in /etc/fstab :
>
> /dev/hda1       /fc             ext3    defaults,noauto  0       2
> LABEL=Vantec01 /mnt/vantec1 ext3 user,noauto 0 2
> LABEL=Vantec02 /mnt/vantec2 ext3 user,noauto 0 2
>
> So what's the problem here?  If I use "/dev/sda1" instead of
> "LABEL=Vantec01" fsck ignores the statement because it says "noauto"
> (see below) but change it to "LABEL=..." or "UUID=..." and I have a
> fairly nasty issue.  Although writing this did make me notice that /fc
> is "noauto" and gets checked.  But I have other lines:
>
> /dev/sda1       /mnt/usba      auto    user,noauto,noatime      0      0
> /dev/sdb1       /mnt/usbb      auto    user,noauto,noatime      0      0
>
> Which are ignored.  I'm a bit confused.

Notice that the first 3 lines have a fs-passno of 2 (last number in the
fstab line). The last 2 lines have that value set to 0.

Change the last number from 2 to 0 on the LABEL... lines and fsck will
skip them. The man page for fsck and /etc/fstab will yield more information.

BTW, specifying noauto tells mount not to mount these filesystems
automatically ... it has nothing to do with fsck.

Terry

--

   Terry Tanski, BSc RHCE
   Email: ttanski-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org