FPTP vs MMP

Henry de Valence hdevalence-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 8 22:57:47 UTC 2007

On October 8, 2007 06:11:17 pm Ivan Avery Frey wrote:
> I'm not saying MMP is a panacea to what ails us. I just don't think
> anybody can dispute that MMP is a fairer way to elect a legislature,
> than FPTP. I mean come on 44.8% of the popular vote and over 50% of the
> seats in the legislature!

I agree. (Disclaimer: I can't vote because I'm underage, but I volunteer with
the Green Party)

In my opinion, this has been set up to fail. After all, the Liberals and the
Conservatives are the ones with the least to gain and the most to lose.

The question should not have been "MMP or FPTP?", it should have been
something along the lines of "Should we look into some form of proportional
representation", because I think that (as much as MMP would benefit the party
I like) it's not a good system.

I like the two votes and the idea of fairer representation.
I don't like having some party hack stay in power for basically forever as
long as they kiss enough ass.
I don't like the idea of having single-issue parties manipulate the balance of
power.
And I don't like the idea of having members who aren't accountable to their
constituents.

I like the idea of MMP, but it's badly implemented. Then again, I personally
feel like it's been set up to fail.

So your choice is (as usual) to vote for what you feel is the lesser evil: a
badly implemented but fairer MMP system or a well implemented but unfair FPTP
system.
--
Harry de Valence