Drupal with Postgresql & Mysql

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 8 22:33:01 UTC 2007

I had a little time over the weekend to convert my site (jamonation.com)
from Mysql to Postgresql. I've been meaning to do it for a while.
Notwithstanding the overall poor performance of the server in general
(overloaded), I was surprised to find Postgresql outperformed Mysql
with Drupal in every ab test I tried. I documented my cursory findings
here: http://jamonation.com/node/734

I was under the impression Mysql was supposedly faster (overall) than
Postgresql. The site wasn't using innodb with mysql (which may be where
the speed comparison holds), but most cmses don't by default from what
I've seen.

I know a stock drupal install with APC and a maxclients of around 512
can serve up to 7000 pages/second having tested that out on a nice
dual-quad core xeon. My ~35 page/second could use some optimizing, but
that's for another day and I know what needs to be done there.

So does anyone have any thoughts on Postgresql with Drupal or as
compared speedwise with Mysql that would account for my findings? I ran
the tests with php's APC module, and mysql's query cache set to 32 and
16mb respectively. I haven't touched anything in the default postgresql
8.2 setup.

Jamon