FPTP vs MMP

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 8 03:52:47 UTC 2007

On 10/7/07, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Scott Elcomb wrote:
> > As a libertarian I'm not into funding unnecessary administration.
> > However, being moderately-so (libertarian), I'm not adverse to
> > throwing a few extra tax dollars towards finding an alternate solution
> > for increasing the publics' participation in Government.
> >
> But that' s the point. There's no promise beyond wishful thinking that
> MMP will increase public participation one shred.

Indeed that's my problem; as mentioned earlier, I'm paying _very_
close attention to this topic.

[snip]
> > I don't like feeling stupid; if necessary, I'll roll the dice to induce change.
> >
> That kind of public sentiment is what gave Ontario Mike Harris as
> premier. Dice rolling tends to backfire.

I don't feel like I'm in a position to make an "informed" vote; there
are (what I consider to be) good arguments on both sides, and no sense
of consensus in this community.  With only a few days left to make a
decision, I really don't know what I'll do yet.

Tangent:  I think the OP has started an important conversation for us;
I can see two distinct POV's forming within our community on an
important issue that affects all of us, well outside our normal "group
interactions."  So far, the points being made are self-managed and
informative.  I'd love to see our MP's & MPP's operating in this way -
regardless of voting process.

--
  Scott Elcomb
  http://www.psema4.com/